Thursday, October 10, 2013

Writers block

Writers block. Another way for saying, writers blanking. Writers block is the serious case of not actually know what to write. When a writer has a blank it can take weeks just for them to figure out what to write next. "The music lets me see the story but the story doesn't let me write the words"(Elizabeth J.Kolodziej) This happens often. We visualize what we want from our writing and a lot of the time we are taking it to far, so when our writing doesn't compare to our standards, we end up with writers block. Having a topic and being able to complete it are two very important things to a writer, so it often occurs when a writer may over think an idea and then dispose of it completely. "To get over artists block, write something shitty"(Dave Holowitz) The same goes for writers block. When you're stuck on something, it may be a good idea to let your mind have a break and write something stupid. We as humans like to stick to one thing till it's done, well sometimes it helps to take a break, do something new, and then go back to work, relaxed and confidant. A lot of good writers have found that the answers come at a time where they aren't hunting for them. "When words don't come easy, I make do with silence and find something in nothing"(Strider Marcus Jones) Take the time to find something in nothing and see the magic that can happen.

5 comments:

  1. When I have writer's block I literally have no idea what to write about. Do you find that taking a break works for you when this happens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find that taking a break and trying something else for a little while does help. It may be easier for some people to just work through it, but I find if I try to hard, I get frustrated and it only gets worse

      Delete
  2. I definitely try to focus on something else for a while.
    I feel that it accesses a different part of brain or something. The answers always come when I'm not thinking about them.

    Good post, the use of quotes really helped make it relate-able

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most frustrating part of writing for me. I can definitely relate to the idea that "I know what I want to write, I just can't write it".
    I usually write something for the sake of writing something, and then fix it up later. Usually, when I get going, the words come more fluidly and it's as if I'm not even trying...what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your right. We try to hard sometimes and that's not good so we need to stop and just write what we feel needs to be written. We should find the words will come naturally.

      Delete